Holiday Assistance: A Program Focused on Collecting Food Donations and Distributing Meal Baskets and Toys To Children During The Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays
Most of us look forward to the holiday season – a time of gift-giving, delicious family meals and warm memories. However, for some less fortunate residents of our community, the holidays are a stressful time, with money concerns often looming over the brightness of the season.
Here at Franklin Community Center, we believe everyone has the right to celebrate. That’s why we provide holiday assistance to those in need, offering a glimmer of hope through difficult economic times.
In addition to our food pantry, which is open year-round, we also provide holiday food Christmas to hundreds of less fortunate people within our community. With the help of local churches, civic groups and businesses, local residents are able to enjoy a delicious holiday meal that otherwise may not have been possible.
We also provide Christmas gifts to our Project Lift families in need of some holiday help, our Manor residents, and dozens of other local families that have come to trust Franklin Community Center over the years. We take gift requests from the children and their parents, and we then match them up with generous donors from the area. It’s this collaboration between our staff and the caring residents of Saratoga that represents the true meaning of the holidays. Donations can be made during regular office hours, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am-4pm and Tuesday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. (excluding all major holidays).
Want to help us make a difference? Here are some ideas!
- Host a holiday themed food drive. Popular items include boxed mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie filling, green beans, cranberry sauce, gravy, stuffing, pie crust or a gift card to a local grocery store to purchase a turkey. .
- ‘Adopt’ a Family – email Info@franklincommunitycenter.org or call 587-9826 to ‘adopt’ a family for the holidays. Each donor will be provided with a wish list from local children, including specific sizes and gift ideas. Donations for our holiday assistance program should be arranged with Kristen. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to concerns regarding food allergies, all gifts must be unwrapped.
- Host a toy drive. Looking to help during the holidays but your not sure you want to participate in our ‘adopt’ a family program? This is the perfect option. For those families and children who were not ‘adpoted’, FCC prepares gifts from donations of new toys and clothing or gift cards from generous donors. Donations for our holiday assistance program should be arranged with Kristen Sodher, you can reach her at email@example.com. Due to concerns regarding food allergies, all gifts must be unwrapped.
Holiday Assistance Client Guidelines
Applications for holiday assistance are now available for children ages 2-14 at Franklin Community Center (10 Franklin Street, Saratoga Springs). Applications may be picked up Monday – Friday, 9am-3pm. Please note, Franklin Community Center observes all major holidays; please call ahead if you are unsure of the hours of operation.
Applications must be returned, completed, to Franklin Community Center on one of the following dates. The program is NOT first come, first serve. Please plan to register your application on a date that best fits your schedule.
- Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, October 31, 2013 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, November 7, 2013 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Please note, applications for holiday assistance that are not registered with Franklin Community Center during the times listed above will not be accepted. Holiday assistance at Franklin Community Center is only available to residents of Saratoga County; please be prepared to provide photo ID, proof of residency that is current within past 2 weeks (utility bill, pay stub, etc) and birth certificates/custody paperwork when registering your application.
If you have any questions, please call 518-587-9826 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.